Saturday, March 30, 2013

March Member of the Month

Meet Jessika! 



Hi Everyone!

My name is Jessika Haselbauer and I have been a proud member of Stroller Strong Moms here in Savannah, Georgia since the grand opening in August.  I am so thankful that my friend, Marie Kelley (who was a part of the Columbus SSM family) gave me a heads up that Alexa was coming my way! After reviewing the website and watching the videos I was pumped, I knew this was the kick in the butt I needed to lose the extra weight I was carrying and overall to just be fit and healthy once again. SSM has not only lived up to all my expectations but has exceeded them!

I grew up all over the world as an “army brat”, from Vilseck, Germany to Fort Sill, Oklahoma.  Growing up my dad always tried to keep us active whether we were taking a family hike, bike ride, swimming, or just kicking the soccer ball around the back yard. Along with those activities I took tap, jazz, and ballet for 6 years and played 2 years of soft ball for my church league.  Looking back I believe the shift from a healthy lifestyle happened gradually and due to many reasons. Life threw me several curve balls and within a matter of two years I had went through losing a child, divorce, and then became a working single mother.  Food quickly became a comfort for me and working out took a back burner.  After putting myself through nursing school and achieving my RN I finally was ready for a change and my focus shifted back to health and fitness. I started taking spin classes, running after work, and enrolled in a 12 week boot camp.  I dropped 15 pounds in 6 months and felt strong and determined to stay fit. 

A short time later I met a wonderful man who renewed my faith in love and happiness.  We were married April 2009 and we have journeyed together from Kansas to Alabama, and then onto our present home here in Savannah.  We have a 9 year old daughter, Jayla and a 9 month old, Tristin.  After having Tristin I again found myself overweight and out of shape!! The road back to being fit has not been easy but SSM has made it possible.  All the support and encouragement from everyone has made me push harder when I wanted to quit and reach goals I never thought possible.  I could not even run a half mile when I started class back in August without feeling like I was going to die. Two weeks ago I ran a 5K at a 10 minute/mile pace and felt amazing doing it!! I could barely crank out 2 to 3 push-ups in August and now I can do 25! I have lost a total of 26 pounds over the past 6 months and have toned and trimmed up in so many areas. Both of my children enjoy attending SSM class with me especially because of all the playgroups and activities we get to be a part of.  It is so great to come to class and see everyone’s smiling faces and know we were all there for a common goal to be fit and healthy!!


I am proof that it is never too late to reengage in a fit and healthy life.   If you truly put in the effort and time SSM will change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment